Sending you wishes that your Christmas sparkles with moments of love, laughter and goodwill, May 2015 be full of contentment and joy.
I would like to take a moment to say Thank You for being here with me!
The holiday season is upon us. And for those of us living in the Northern Hemisphere, nature has already gone into its dormant phase. Mother Earth is hibernating. The trees have shed their leaves, snow covers the ground here in most of Alberta.This should be a time when we too seek solitude, go within, and take a little time off. It’s what our bodies want, it’s what our minds crave; yet, most of us ignore the signs, putting in ever longer hours as the days grow increasingly shorter. For most people, it’s CRAZY BUSY. Stores are blaring holiday music and telling you there’s just a few shopping days left ’till Xmas. Companies are cranking away to make their end-of year financial goals. Families and friends are making plans to visit and celebrate. Social calendars have booked up. And while our human ways can feel productive and even celebratory at holiday time, it’s also quite exhausting for most people.Not to mention that we are running COUNTER to the slower rhythms of nature at this time of year. Winter is meant of be a time of REST!
Yes, I said REST.
This is a word we seem to have forgotten in our fast-paced Western Culture. We are moving and lightning speed and multi-tasking like mad. We are doing MORE with LESS support. And most of us are really pretty tired.
In nature, we celebrate the changing of the seasons. And every farmer knows that a recipe for getting an healthy abundant crop is to leave the fields fallow for a period of time. But it’s not that nothing is happening during these fallow periods. The soil is regenerating. The nutrients are building back up. The plants are building their internal infrastructure and their root system is expanding beneath the ground. Without this fallow time, nature could not come out in her full splendor next Spring-with bountiful crops and glorious flowers.
We humans aren’t so different. We also need deep periods of stillness, rest, and “down time.” But our culture doesn’t really celebrate these things. With only 2 weeks of vacation a year at most jobs, there’s time for little more than a few family visits or a quick vacation.
So we keep pushing and pushing. And many of us, including me, have ended-up burnt out, unhealthy and generally not taking very good care of US. I was reading an article recently where it stated that approximately 80% of people today will experience adrenal fatigue in their lifetime. Wow.
So if you want to keep up your big, bright life. If you want to fully show-up for your family and your friends; if you want to make a big difference, you have really got to REST my friends. And nurture yourselves! This is not selfish behavior, but totally REQUIRED for folks who are going to be putting out a lot into the world. And I know a bit about all of you-you GIVE a lot. And you’ll burnout FOR REAL if you don’t charge up those batteries.
So here’s my suggestions of key holiday gifts to YOURSELF. If you fill up your own cup so that you are radiant and abundant, this will be nothing but FABULOUS for you, your family, and your work.
Self Care Secrets Revealed
10 Tips For Holiday Self-Nurturance
1. Sleep a lot! I highly recommend averaging 9-10 hours of sleep per night-at least for a little while. You might think I am off my rocker, but just try it for a few days. You will thank me later.
2. Get regular bodywork (a.k.a. Reiki). Not just once a year on your birthday. I normally receive a reiki session and a massage, at least once a month – If I could I would go every other week.
3. Take a day of Sabbath. I suggest every week, but at least every other week. When I say “Sabbath,” I mean a day with no plans, no “home projects,” no laundry. Just a day where you get to do whatever would bring you the greatest joy or satisfaction in the moment. Yoga class? Spontaneous hike? Read a book? If you have kids, you will probably need to drop them at a friend’s house for the day to make it possible. And you can reciprocate the favor the next week.
4. Uplevel your fragrance with essential oils.We all want to smell yummy, but I encourage you to toss a few of those chemical perfumes and opt for some essential oils. Essential Energy Healing is now carrying IN STOCK, Chakra Essential Oils and a few new High Vibrational Blends like The Rainbow Blend, which is a great balance and harmonizer for the body. It seems to be my clients favorite as well! These oils make a great holiday gift too. You can get them here: http:// essentialenergyhealing.ca/ chakra-essential-oils/ or stop by!
5. Expand in front of the fire. Let yourself just lay on the floor in front of a cozy fire with a lot of pillows and some blankets. This can be a great opportunity to expand your consciousness and engage your intuition. I like to ask deep soul questions into the fire, then watch for the shapes and images that appear in the flames. One can interpret those images as answers to the questions posed-a beautiful collaboration between you and the greater Spirit of life.
6. Try a weekly resorative yoga class at a local studio. For those of you unfamiliar with restorative yoga, this is not a dynamic faced-paced yoga-cize class for fat burning. No, not at all. It’s more like doing a restorative “nap time” in some gentle stretch positions, but with lots of props and support. Now entering the chill zone! http://www. goodkarmayogaclass.com/
7. Support your spirit with flower essences.Those who are energetically sensitive will especially notice the effects. I’ve been using a common blend called “Rescue Remedy” made by Bach.
8. Take long baths. After a stressful day, my favorite activity is a long bath with candle light and some mellow music I have been using Pink Himalayan Sea salts in my bath for years, and they are great. You can add some relaxing essential oils such as lavender. Let yourself soak for a good while-at least 30 minutes.
9. Enjoy a coconut lube job. After that long bath I mentioned above, try topping it off with an slippery layer of coconut oil-straight out of the food pantry! It’s especially nice if you take time to apply it slowly to your body, imagining you are sending love to every part of your body as you apply the oil. This oil will leave your skin feeling so soft and supple, and it can be used at night in your hair-if it’s dry or color treated. And it smells and tastes great! You can get it at a health food store and is usually found near the olive oil. Mmmm…
10. Celebrate the Winter Solstice Winter Solstice is the longest night of the year. It’s a time to celebrate the darkness and its stillness, while celebrating our connection to the Earth and the return of the light. On this night we have an opportunity to name and release those situations or patterns which are ready to be “lost into the night.” We have an opportunity to symbolically die and reborn. You might check around in your local area to see if there’s a local Winter Solstice gathering, or create your own alone or with friends.You can check out some ideas with this Winter Solstice2014 Ritual
Soothing & Warming Pink Himalayan Sea Salt/Essential Oil Bath
A warm bath, especially scented with just a few drops of essential oil, added to your Pink Himalayan Sea Salts can be a perfect way to warm up and unwind after a chilly day.
Add 2-4 drops of Young Living Thieves Essential Oil to your Bath Salts
Add to bath water, and enjoy!
Thieves® was created based on research about four thieves in France who covered themselves with cloves, rosemary, and other aromatics while robbing plague victims. This proprietary essential oil blend was university tested for its cleansing abilities. It is highly effective in supporting the immune system and good health.*
Are you having trouble sleeping this summer? Wow, Alberta has been humid and hot, hot, hot….
Having troubles sleeping?
I’m not a big lover of heat and really don’t sleep very well, so I’ve got a great idea to help you out that I’ve been using!
A small spritzer bottle
Pure spring water
3-5 drops of Pure Peppermint Essential Oil
2-4 drops of Pure Lavender Essential Oil
Shake well and spray onto chest, back of neck and anywhere else that feels oh, so good!
Lavender Essential Oil for Crown Chakra
Seventh ~ Crown: The Crown Chakra
The crown chakra is the center of spirituality, enlightenment, dynamic thought, and energy. The keyword is inspiration. This is the connecting link to your highest and finest self.
Position: Top of the head
Objective: Charity, connection to God and spirit, divinity, belief systems, revelation, divine consciousness.
When your Crown Chakra is closed
When your Crown Chakra is opened
|You feel no connection or guidance from a higher power.
||You feel connected to a higher power and that you are being watched over and cared for.
|You feel unworthy of spiritual help and are angry that your higher power has abandoned you.
||You know you deserve immense blessings.
|You suffer from migraines and tension headaches.
||You feel immense gratitude for the universal love and appreciation you feel towards yourself and others.
Activities to Balance your Crown Chakra
Aromatherapy with Young Living Essenial Oils – Lavender
Floral water meditations
- Young Living Frankincense essential Oil – Third Eye Chakra
Sixth ~ Light: Third Eye Chakra
The third eye chakra is the center of physic power, higher intuition, the energies of the spirit, magnetic forces, and light. This center is about Divine Thought, balanced intuition, and intellect.
Position: Between the eyebrows
Objective: Intuition & psychic talents, self-reflection, visualization, discernment, and trust of your own intuition.
When your Intuitive Chakra is closed
When your Intuitive Chakra is opened
|You feel disconnected from your intuition, or don’t feel like you have any.
||Your intuition is your constant guide that you trust.
|You feel lost when it comes to your spiritual purpose and path in life.
||You have a strong sense of your own inner truth and listen to and follow it as it guides you on your life path.
|You get headaches and feel tension in your brow area often.
||You act on confidence based on your intuition.
Activities for Balancing the Third Eye Chakra
- Journal your dreams as soon as you wake
- Guided Imagery/meditation
- Watching the sunrise / sunset
Throat Chakra -Believe essential oil
Fifth ~ Ether: The Throat Chakra
- Essential oils :Believe essential oil
- Apply topically to the posterior neck and the back part of the head or skull.
The throat chakra is the center of communication, sound, and expression of creativity of thought, speech, and writing.
Position: Hollow of Throat
Objective: Speaking your truth, coming form the center of your willpower, listening and being heard, communication, finding you true voice and expressing your truth.
When your Throat Chakra is closed
When your Throat Chakra is opened
|You are afraid to speak up and say what you want or feel, not speakiing your truth
||You are comfortable speaking your truth.
|You go along with others so you don’t upset anyone.
||You experience others listening to you .
|You get sore throats often and feel like your throat is blocked.
||You feel that you are heard and honored for your truth.
Activities to balance your Throat Chakra
- Read out loud to yourself or someone else
- Have an “inner-child” dialogue
- Practice silence and meditation
Joy -Heart Chakra
Fourth ~ Air: The Heart Chakra
- Essential oil: Joy essential oil
- Apply topically to the center of the chest at heart level.
The heart chakra is the center of compassion, love, group consciousness, and spiritually associated with “oneness” with “all that is.”
Color: Green or Pink
Position: Center of chest
Objective: Heart, compassion, love, touch, devotion, emotional zone, self-acceptance, masculine/feminine of the self, and forgiveness
When your Heart Chakra is closed:
When your Heart Chakra is opened:
|You are afraid of commitment.
||You are comfortable in your relationships.
|You feel like you have to please others to be loved.
||You give and receive love easily.
|You have been hurt by others many times in relationships and now feel like you have to guard yourself from being hurt again.
||You feel a heartfelt sense of gratitude for how wonderful your life is, you appreciate others and feel compassion for yourself and others without feeling sorry for anyone.
Activities to Balance your Heart Chakra
- Say to yourself in the mirror – “I love you”
- Read your past journals, or start one
- Start a gratitude journal – write down 3 things each evening that you are grateful for
- Emotional Balance with Reiki and Essential Oils, massage
- Peace and Calming-Sacral Chakra
Second ~ Water: The Sacral Chakra
The sacral chakra is the center of your creativity, desire, emotion, sexuality, and intuition. This is where you learn how to give and receive pleasure.
Position: Below the belly button
Objective: Sexuality, the nature of your relationships, freedom from guilt, pleasure and nurturance, sensation and creativity
When your Sacral Chakra is closed:
When your Sacral Chakra is opened:
|Your sexual life may be shut down, or non-interest in sexual activities
||You enjoy pleasure in many different ways in life.
|You feel abused, hurt, and confused and don’t trust that you can be loved for being you.
||You create healthy sexual experiences with others that honor you.
|You feel you have to be sexy to be loved
||You have a strong sense of your sexuality and recognize it as one of your most powerful creative energies.
Activities to Increase Balance to your Sacral Chakra: